Mashed Potatoes with Cabbage
For this classic Irish dish, tender, cooked cabbage is stirred into creamy mashed potatoes. A simple and delicious vegan side dish.
large mixing bowl
6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes (about 2 pounds)
1/2 head green cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups)
6 green onions (with tops), chopped or 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup water
1/8 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup soy or rice milk
1/4 cup vegan margarine, softened (I use EARTH BALANCE)
1 tsp sea salt
- Heat 1 inch salted water (1/2 tsp salt to 1 cup water) to boiling.
- Add potatoes. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook until tender, 30-35 minutes; drain.
- Heat cabbage, onions, 1/4 cup water and 1/8 tsp sea salt to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until crisp-tender, 5-10 minutes; drain.
- Mash potatoes until no lumps remain. Beat in soy or rice milk in small amounts. Add 1/4 cup vegan margarine and 1 tsp sea salt; beat until potatoes are light and fluffy.
- Stir in cabbage and onions.