Golden Mushroom Soup
As a child, my introduction to cream of mushroom soup was the Campbell’s condensed variety. I would eat it over brown rice for a quick meal. Yum! Older and wiser now, and seeking to avoid the high sodium, high fat and MSG found in my favorite canned soup, I was delighted to find this delicious, dairy free version. Serve it up with a beautiful green salad or try it as a gravy over mashed potatoes or your favorite steamed veggies.
Small Sauce Pan
2 medium onions, chopped
2 1/2 cups water or vegetable stock
1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 tsp dried dill
1 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce or Bragg Liquid Aminos
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp flour
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- In large pan, braise chopped onion in 1/2 cup of the water or stock until soft.
- Add mushrooms, dill, and paprika and continue cooking for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add soy sauce and remaining 2 sups water or stock, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lightly warm the oil in a saucepan, then add the flour. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, then whisk in the soy milk until smooth. Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly until slightly thickened.
- Add this mixture to mushroom mixture. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
from “The High Road to Health” by Lindsay Wagner