Cream of Cauliflower Soup
A few simple ingredients. One fabulous soup! Any vegetable broth will work for this recipe, but my favorite vegetable broth mix is “Seitenbacher Vegetarian Vegetable Broth and Seasoning” available at your local health food store. It makes everything taste so special!
8 cups strong vegetable broth
1 whole head of garlic, roasted (see note)
2 yellow onions, chopped
1 large head of cauliflower, chopped
1/4 cup raw cashews
sea salt to taste
- Heat a little olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions until soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the cauliflower and squeeze in the roasted garlic pulp.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, about 30 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft.
- Let the mixture cool enough to put in the blender in batches and puree with the cashews until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer blended soup to a clean pot and heat on low. To serve, add sea salt to taste and garnish with snipped chives or scallions. For a heartier texture, serve over cooked brown rice, quinoa or millet.
* adapted from HealthyBlenderRecipes.com
Note: How to Roast Garlic
- Roasting garlic is very simple, first you peel away the white, outer covering of the bulb, leaving the individual covering on each clove and leaving them attached to the root; then cut a little off the top of the cloves so that you can see down into each clove.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the cloves, using your fingers to make sure they are properly coated and then cover the garlic with foil paper and place it on a baking sheet or in a muffin pan to bake.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes at 200¬įC / 400¬įF or until the cloves are soft to the touch. Remove from the oven and allow to cool so you can handle without burning yourself. The garlic should be very soft and you can remove the cloves by squeezing the base of the bulb or by taking them out one at a time.