These muffins are slightly sweet and so light. I added fresh corn kernels from one ear of corn and some chopped onions. Adding some fresh chopped herbs would be wonderful, too. Makes me want to cook up a big batch of chili!
Small Mixing Bowl
Medium Mixing Bowl
Muffin Pan for 12 muffins
1 3/4 cups soy milk plus 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or unbleached flour
2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 cup fresh or frozen corn (optional)
1 cup onion, finely chopped OR 1 cup red bell pepper, diced (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin pan. (I used Earth Balance to grease pan)
- In a small bowl, combine the soy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside. Soy milk will curdle slightly.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and sea salt.
- Stir the soy milk mixture, maple syrup and canola oil into the cornmeal mixture, blending well.
- Stir in the corn and onion or red bell pepper, if using.
- Pour the batter evenly into the lightly greased muffin pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the crown of the muffin comes out clean.
Note: For cornbread, pour the batter into a lightly greased square pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.