Raspberry Scottish Shortbread
I’ve always loved baking, but my favorite recipes called for lots of white flour, butter, eggs, and sugar. These oat bars are a tasty treat on the healthier side. They’re called shortbread but the texture is more like a soft granola bar. Easy to make and yummy!
9 x 9 baking pan
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (all-purpose is fine)
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
2/3 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup fruit-only raspberry jam (or your favorite flavor)
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Sift the flour and salt into the dry oatmeal(I just put them in a bowl and mix.)
- Add the oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla and mix well.
- Lightly oil a 9×9 pan. Cover the bottom of the pan with half the oatmeal mixture, pressing firmly into place with fingers.
- Spread jam evenly over the mixture to cover. (I stir the jam first)
- Cover with remaining oatmeal mixture, pressing gently with your fingers to pack it in tightly.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes.
from Lindsay Wagner’s cookbook “High Road To Health”