Living Caesar Dressing
While planning an Italian themed, vegan potluck, I was on the hunt for an authentic tasting recipe for Caesar Salad Dressing. I discovered this one in Dreena Burton’s “Eat, Drink & Be Vegan: Everyday Vegan Recipes Worth Celebrating.” It is amazing! This recipe makes enough dressing for one large head of romaine.
blender or food processor
1/4 cup raw cashews (or raw sunflower seeds) (see note)
1/8 cup raw pine nuts (or raw sesame seeds) (see note)
3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp cold pressed olive oil
1 garlic clove
1 tsp mild miso or 1/2 tsp Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp kelp granules (such as Maine Coast Sea Seasonings brand)
1/2 tsp agave nectar or honey
1/4 cup water (or more to thin as desired)
- Using a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients and puree until very smooth.
- Toss this dressing with torn romaine leaves, along with raw pumpkin seeds (my favorite!), pine nuts, or croutons. (Try the simple Garlic Herb Crouton recipe, below.)
This dressing will thicken after refrigeration. You can thin it by adding 2-3 tsp water. When thick, it makes a great veggie dip!
Note: If nut allergies are a concern, substitute raw sunflower seeds and sesame seeds in place of cashews and pine nuts. You may need additional agave/honey to sweeten.
And to go along with this dressing, how about some homemade croutons!
GARLIC HERB CROUTONS
2 Large garlic cloves, crushed
3 Tbsp Olive oil
Pinch of sea salt to taste
2 cups bread of choice cut into 1/2 inch cubes (I love a multi-grain Italian loaf)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and gently toss until bread is evenly coated.
- Spread croutons, single layer, on a cookie sheet.
- Bake until golden (about 10-15 minutes)